Senior Software Developer
Full Time - Rochester, NY
At Measures for Justice (MFJ), our mission is to use data to measure and understand county-level criminal justice system performance in America. We collect, clean, code, and analyze county-level data to provide consistent, comparable, reliable, and objective performance measures across the entire criminal justice system, from arrest to post-conviction, on a county-by-county basis. You can learn more about our work here: www.measuresforjustice.org.
Measures for Justice seeks a Senior Software Developer to assist in our mission of delivering criminal justice measures to the public. In this role you will work with our technology team to design software to extend and scale our data processing infrastructure.
- Lead the development of an internal suite of research tools to assist in cleaning and coding data.
- Build tools and processes to collect and integrate data from web APIs or datastores.
- Create programming APIs for analyzing, validating, normalizing, restructuring and fixing data.
- Operationalize Machine Learning algorithms and processes to classify data.
- You are an experienced software developer who provides leadership and mentors all other developers on the team.
- Demonstrable experience delivering products on web and back-end web services.
- You have strong design and critical thinking skills, with knowledge of software development best practices.
- You have experience designing programming APIs and utility libraries.
- You have experience working with JVM-based statistical and machine learning libraries and operationalizing machine learning tasks.
- You have experience with cloud infrastructure, especially compute and storage.
- You have solid experience with different programming languages, libraries, tools and software development technologies. Java required, interest in learning Kotlin.
- You're experienced with low-level file access and data transformation algorithms.
- You have prior professional experience working for a criminal justice agency is not required but it is prioritized.
- 5 to 10 years professional software development experience.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related discipline.
- We know that our employees are our most valuable asset. We provide top of the line equipment to help you get the job done.
- Our Rochester, NY, office space is close to all the things the city has to offer and is bike and bus accessible.
- We offer competitive salaries, comprehensive benefits, and a casual work environment.
- MFJ is committed to equality and inclusion. We support applicants from all backgrounds and experiences to apply.
- Our office is wheelchair accessible.
If you are interested, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will continue to receive applications until the position is filled.
It is the policy of Measures for Justice to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Measures for Justice will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. We are committed to equity and inclusion and encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply.